How to style your space with throws
Instantly create a soft, welcoming vibe with the addition of a cosy blanket. Here’s how to choose the perfect throw for your space.
Create laid-back, luxe vibes with a warm, textured throw. Whether you choose a wool throw, textured, patterned, tasseled or woven, you can’t go wrong with an artfully arranged blanket on the bed or sofa.
Layer up multiple throws for a luxe look, and stack cushions on and around for an inviting space. More classic styles will benefit from a neatly folded throw tucked over the end of a sofa, while a relaxed, boho space calls for a draped throw overhanging the back of the seat, waiting to greet guests and family members alike. Take your colour cue from artworks and accessories throughout your space, choosing complementary tones and textures rather than perfectly matched shades.
Often arranged on the end of the bed, a throw in a bedroom is both practical and beautiful. Afternoon naps or extra-chilly nights call for another layer, while it can also protect bedding from feet and marks if you use your bed for reading, working and playing - especially important in kids’ rooms! A throw can also be a cost-effective solution for adding colour, pattern and texture to an all-white or neutral palette. On the other hand, a muted throw can act to tone down a brightly coloured or patterned bedspread. Depending on your style, you can either toss your throw casually across the bed or neatly fold it at the end as part of your daily bed-making ritual - the choice is yours!
Give your outdoor room an extra pop of colour and cosiness in the form of a throw - perfect for all-weather entertaining on the deck. Don’t neglect your reading nook, window seat or armchair either, adding an element of softness with a throw.?
If you have multiple throws to ensure every member of the family can be rugged up during movie nights, keep them all tucked away to avoid cluttering your space. Under-sofa storage is an ideal solution here, otherwise textural woven baskets and boxes will make the most of empty corners and the space beneath tables, becoming a style feature in their own right.
Top tips for accessorising with throws:
- Hide that tired old sofa upholstery and disguise marks, stains and sun-faded spots with a throw.
- Give pets a spot on the sofa or bed and save your upholstery and bedding from fur with a beautiful throw of their own to curl up on.
- Chilly days and nights call for added cosiness, perfect for the addition of a wool throw. In summer, linen naturally regulates body temperature, keeping you cooler - keep this in mind with leather couches in particular, as no-one wants to stick to the sofa during hot, sticky weather!
- Luxe wool and linen will add instant glamour to your space, but easy-care cotton and polyester are smart choices for busy families and pet owners.
- Faux fur and animal prints are a playful way to instantly up the fun factor in kids’ rooms.